In the Change & Transformation space, there is never a dull moment and never a lack of things to do.
However, what gets most of us, is the lack of Focus.
Now more than ever, the need to focus and be intentional about it is at the heart of what purposeful and high-performing leaders and professionals need. This is to combat the daily grind, the busyness, the noise, and the sheer amount of complexity.
Not everything needs your attention.
And not everything needs your attention equally.
And not everything needs your attention now.
Yet many leaders find themselves constantly reacting and getting distracted. Sometimes we get distracted and sucked into it and then wonder where the day went.
Counter to the common belief that distraction is an equation of the environment, I found that distraction is sometimes something we allow and give permission to
Distractions are like a bag of seeds; when you take one out and water it (consciously or not), you allow it to grow and interfere with your day.
While minimal distraction is expected and can be addressed, excessive distraction is a time stealer.
Unfortunately, according to research, about 50% of workers are distracted at work, and it takes them at least 25 minutes to recover from each distraction incident and turn to focus mode.
Levels of Focus
Since I am referring to the Change and Transformation space, it is more than just eliminating distractions caused by your phone or checking social media. It is about the kind of Focus that brings you success and empowers you to create impact.
There are 4 different levels of Focus, as shown below:
Focus on what?
One might ask, so what exactly do I focus on? These are the 5 filters that I apply for myself and my clients to determine what you should be focusing on
1. What has the most impact?
2. What sets you up for success?
3. What would matter a year from now?
4. What can you bring to help make the most impact?
5. What can get in the way?
What gets in the way of Focus?
There is no shortage of distractions; however, I find that what can get in the way is mostly coming from ourselves
1. Insecurity of one’s ability or the ability of others
2. Not knowing what the right next step is
3. Obsession with too much structure and perfection
4. Rigidity of thinking
5. Fear of Commitment
6. Not knowing what to focus on
7. The lack of a support system that helps create a healthy and sustainable focus
Distractions steal your thunder and dim your light, don’t allow them in. Get to the root cause of why you allow your most favourite distractions to get in the way and how to combat daily distractions best.
Make 2023 the year of less distraction and more intentional Focus
If you find this helpful, like, share and comment so more people can benefit.
The topic of Focus is one of the topics I will help transformation leaders and professionals within my People of Change community launching this year.
Tomorrow and in the next episode of this series, I will talk about “Doing the Work.” Watch this space
When you are ready to take your Change and Transformation career & impact to the next level, here are a few ways I can help:
1. Land an impactful and successful change & transformation program and make a bigger impact today. Lock in a Free 30-minute Impact-Maker Call for a conversation about how I can be your behind-the-scenes one-on-one consultant, mentor and advisor. I help leaders elevate their transformation & change practice mastery, expand their perspectives, be visible and respected, build high-performing transformation teams, elevate their leadership, accelerate their career progression, and bring their authentic voice and true expertise to the table. Message me to book your Free 30-minute Impact-Maker Call.
2. Ready to ELEVATE your impact now. Join ELEVATE, my group coaching mastermind program – for ambitious leaders, consultants, professionals and advisors already working on or in charge of change & transformation programs who want to get it right, earn a seat at the table, and elevate their leadership, all without the burnout, guesswork, or losing opportunities. If you are interested, reach out, as the next cohort is now open for registration
3. Express your interest in joining the PEOPLE OF CHANGE (POC) community membership program as an early-bird founding member. The POC community focuses on 5 different pillars: Build incontestable Mastery of world-class change & transformation practice, Be an effective and purposeful Leader, show up, be Visible and make a dent, accelerate your Growth and Career, and earn your Seat at the table. Send me a message to learn more and express your interest
The link to the People Of Change Launch announcement is here
Get in touch with me by commenting below or email me at Success@PeopleofTranormation.com